Monday 8 July 2013

Hi I'm Carly Glover, the Character Modeller and also Producer on Moss & Twigz and I made this video to demonstrate the validity of our character pipeline. I was working on this version of a head sculpt at the time for Moss, our protagonist, so I took it through the pipeline to test out an problems there might be along the way. I started with a ZBrush sculpt which I sent to Maya straight away to scale it to the correct size of a head to avoid any later problems with shaders. Once the scale was correct I exported the obj to 3D Coat to retopo, then back to Maya to UV unwrap. From there the camera rig and lighting was setup using 3 lights and most importantly a HDR. I chose to set up the scene first before attempting any shaders because I knew the lighting would have a drastic effect on the way the shaders would react. After days of tweaking and test renders the model went back into ZBrush to sharpen up the edges that had been lost in the retopo and to start working with polypaint. We had decided earlier that the skin was going to be predominantly shader-based with very little texturing so very subtle changes with polypaint were made. From there I Went back into Maya to hook up the new displacement and texture map and...GRRR had some problems there but a very late night did the trick and found a solution. So the only thing left was to add a quick rig and animation. The head was only going to turn slighting so it was a very simple rig which was completed with blendshapes from ZBrush. Next I animated the head and camera to work together. More test renders and finally it was time to hit 'Batch Render'. Happy days. While Maya took its time rendering I set up an AO pass and started on the comp in Nuke. Once all renders were complete I finalised the comp and rendered out the movie file you see above. So now that my first character pipeline test is complete I am back to sculpting the character again. I will add more pipeline tests of Moss as we move through production, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment